Updated and re-named for 2019
Everyone deserves to be able to be safe and well in their own community. We will support positive health and wellbeing initiatives and advocate fearlessly on behalf of our community to reduce harm.
What we’ve done:
- Led a successful community campaign to stop the opening of a new large liquor store in Three Kings
- Produced the first ever Healthy Puketāpapa Action Plan, adopted this year by the local board to focus community efforts to improve local wellbeing
- Retained night-time alcohol bans at all local parks, including 24 hour bans at known trouble-spots
- Collaborated with local police, Mt Roskill Community Patrol and Neighbourhood Support
- Funded Out and About programmes in local parks to increase physical fitness, social connection and park use
- Improved lighting at a number of parks and reserves, including along key active transport routes such as through Keith Hay Park
- Produced local plans for future provision of water fountains, public toilets and shaded areas in parks
- Invested in Healthy Rentals, a programme to help landlords and renters work together to make homes warmer and drier.
- Continue to monitor and advocate for the reduction of off-licence liquor stores and pokies in our community
- Work with others to implement the Healthy Puketāpapa Action Plan
- Promote active transport and park use as easy ways to include physical activity in daily life
- We know that poverty and inequality are the root cause of many issues in our community. We will work to ensure that all of our people receive a fair go through policies such as the Living Wage and provision of good quality affordable and social housing, and access to transport options.