We’ve built a focused local policy on economic development issues that will provide jobs, support local enterprises, and revitalise our run-down town centres.
What we’ve done:
- Developed the first ever Local Economic Development Action Plan for Puketapapa, adopted in 2015 and now in the first stage of implementation.
- Secured resources for improvements at the Mt Roskill town centre, with consultation and design works starting shortly.
- Invested in a “Business Voice” programme that aims to build a strong local business association and support local businesses with marketing and safety issues.
- Supported the Living Wage, which will put more money into the pockets of local people to spend in our community.
- Fostered local young people into training and apprenticeships, in particular through Youth Connections.
- Completed a survey of local employers in regard to youth employment opportunities.
- Supported local social enterprise initiatives for alternative employment pathways.
- Participated in Project PETER, focused on eliminating unemployment in Mt Roskill
- Developing an integrated high quality town centre at Stoddard Rd, building on opportunities from current expansion, the completion of the SH20 project, light rail, and housing redevelopment in Wesley.
- Community-led improvements to the Mt Roskill town centre area that improve the connection to the Jasper Ave carpark and the appearance of the street, to bring people to the area.
- The development of a retail strategy for local and town centres to support the development of a clear retail identity for each area, and a strategic approach to growth.
- Continued implementation of the Local Economic Development Action Plan.
- Working with local businesses on initiatives to encourage local people to ‘buy local’.
- Building a strong local business network that can be a voice for businesses in our area and help everyone to do better through working together on common issues such as safety.