This is our 2016 policy – our 2019 policy will be coming soon, building on these ideas and the progress in the last three years.
Our community has been the victim of a lack of planning and vision for too long. We want to see thriving neighbourhoods, exciting town centres, quality urban environments, and appropriate affordable housing for our families. This will only happen through wide-ranging community involvement and strong local leadership.
What We’ve Done
- Implemented our Vision for Three Kings policy, as detailed under Three Kings Issues.
- Ensured our community has been represented at Council Unitary Plan discussions, following through on our 2013 promises to provide for growth.around our town centres and key transport routes, ensuring quality development and protection of open space and heritage.
- Worked with council and developers through the Special Housing Area process and other means to encourage increased quality housing in our area.
- Commissioned research on seniors housing in Puketapapa, uncovering the dire need in Hillsborough in particular as the least served part of the whole Auckland region.
- Lobbied for the retention of seniors social housing at Liston Village.
- Approached Housing New Zealand to work together on local redevelopments.
- Advocated for Local Boards to have a role in the resource consent process.
- Piloted new ways to engage our community in council processes and decision-making, including establishing Children’s Panels at local schools, researching how to reach our migrant communities better, setting up Mandarin-language communication channels, using on-line surveys and community workshops to encourage and gather input.
- Securing Liston Village’s future as seniors social housing working in harmony with the future needs of Monte Cecilia Park.
- Working with Housing New Zealand and other agencies and developers to deliver more high quality affordable and social housing in our area.
- Area planning for the Stoddard/May Rd area to ensure this emerging town centre develops in a way that is connected and accessible, and has the business land needed for local employment opportunities.