Our families deserve an environment in which social harms are reduced. We have advocated fearlessly on behalf of our community and will continue to push for a safe and healthy community environment.
What we’ve done:
- Delivered first smokefree playgrounds and now smokefree parks in Puketapapa/Mt Roskill
- Retained night-time alcohol bans at all local parks, including 24 hour bans at known trouble-spots
- Established quarterly meetings with the local police to share information and concerns
- Supported Community Patrol NZ and Auckland Neighbourhood Support with their work in Mt Roskill
- Held community workshops on the new alcohol laws to support our community to make submissions on liquor licence applications
- Monitored and reported off-licence breaches
- Funded night-time security patrols of known trouble spots for anti-social behaviour.
- Improved lighting at a number of parks and reserves, including along key active transport routes such as through Keith Hay Park
- Brought together local agencies working on stopping intentional harm of children to share information and create a culture of “Tamariki as Taonga” in our community
- Funded local schools and early childhood centres to participate in Child Protection workshops
- Continue to advocate for reductions in pokie machines, aiming to make Puketapapa/Mt Roskill pokie-free
- We support a sinking-lid approach to the number of off-license liquor stores in our community and more effective controls to prevent abuse of the rules.
- Work to build relationships with Pacific and Maori wardens to develop a presence in Roskill.
- We know that poverty and inequality are the root cause of many issues in our community. We will work to ensure that all of our people receive a fair go through policies such as the Living Wage and provision of good quality affordable and social housing, and access to low cost transport